INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2-3):
- 5-6 beans, diced,
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced,
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets,
- 1 small onion, finely chopped,
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped,
- 3-4 tsp of flour,
- 300 grams of chicken, boiled and de-boned,
- 1 large cup of chicken stock,
- ½ cup cold milk
- 10-12 peppercorns, freshly crushed,
- Salt to taste,
- A pinch of paprika or a tsp of red chili flakes,
- 2-3 tsp of olive oil,
- Handful of coriander or dill to garnish
- Start by boiling the chicken in 1 and half cup of water with salt and pepper until just half cooked. Drain and reserve the liquid for stock and debone the chicken and keep aside.
- Sauté the diced carrots, beans and cauliflower florets in olive oil for about a minute on high flame. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and toss the finely chopped garlic, followed by the chopped onions. Stir fry well until lightly fragrant.
- Add flour and lightly fry it, before adding milk to it.
- Stir continuously while adding milk as it will prevent the formation of flour lumps. Once the texture has come to a fine paste, pour the chicken stock slowly. Allow it to boil.
- Next, toss in the de-boned chicken pieces, followed by salt, pepper and chili flakes into it. Let it simmer for some time.
- At last, simply add the sautéed vegetables and turn off the heat. Serve with a generous sprinkling of fresh coriander or dill leaves
STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
4 boneless chicken breasts (pounded thin)
2 bunches green onions chopped
1/4 pound mushrooms sliced
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
Sauté onions, mushrooms in butter or oil; do not drain. Add enough bread stuffing to onion/mushroom mixture to fill the four chicken breasts. Use your favorite stuffing recipe or use a boxed stuffing like Stove Top (follow directions on box).
Cover one side of each breast with mixture and roll or fold over. Fasten with toothpicks.
Place in baking dish add Cream of Chicken Soup. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Bake at 350° for one hour.
Tip: Use a rolling pin to flatten the chicken breasts. Try diluting the Cream of Chicken soup with 1/2 of a soup can of white wine — this will produce more sauce and also tenderize the chicken.
CHICKEN AND NOODLE STEW
~Sent in by: Jessica, Corfu, Greece
1 (4 oz.) stewing chicken
Freshly ground black pepper
1 chicken heart, finely chopped
1 chicken gizzard, finely chopped
1 lb. egg noodles
1/3 c. scallions, finely chopped
1/3 c. cooked ham, shredded
Wash chicken thoroughly. Cut into serving pieces.
Place chicken in large kettle and cover with cold
water. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer until
chicken is tender. Remove chicken from kettle and
shred the meat. Add celery leaves, chicken heart and
gizzard to stock in which chicken was cooked. Simmer
until tender. Cook noodles in boiling, salted water
until firm, but tender. To serve, place noodles in
deep, individual bowls. Pour stock over noodles. Add
chicken and scallions. Garnish with ham.