- 1 pound chicken (you can use a whole chicken cut into small pieces or leg or thigh pieces)
- 1 large onion sliced finely
- 1 medium tomato chopped finely
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil or ghee
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder or Paprika
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 aniseed stars
- 2 dry red chilies
- ½ ” piece of cinnamon
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 4-5 cloves
- 8-10 peppercorns
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade with the chicken and keep aside for 2 hours.
- Heat a heavy pan or skillet on a medium flame and roast the ingredients of spice mixture for 3-4 minutes (do not burn the spices). Remove from flame and allow to cool. Grind the mixture into a coarse powder in a clean, dry coffee grinder.
- In another deep pan, heat the oil and add the curry leaves. When they stop spluttering, add the sliced onions and fry till they are light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and little salt; stir fry till tomato becomes pulpy.
- Add the chicken and grated coconut, cover, and simmer till chicken is tender.
- When the chicken is done add garam masala powder and lime juice; mix well and simmer for another 2 minutes. Turn off the flame and take out in a serving dish.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.