1 kg Cauliflower, Radish and Carrot (about 300gm each of the radish and carrot – 500gms for the cauliflower because the stems will come off.
10gms (about 1 tbsp.) Red chilli powder –
30gms (about 2 tbsp.) Salt
1 tbsp. Mustard Powder
2 ladlefuls (about 200ml) Mustard Oil
- .Wash the vegetables thoroughly. Cut the stalks off the cauliflowers. Lightly peel the radish and carrots after chopping off the tops and tails
- Cut the carrots into 2″ long batons, separate the cauliflower into medium sized florets and cut the radish into slices roughly the size of the carrots.
- In a large vessel, bring to boil a litre of water and then blanch the cut vegetables for 3 minutes.
- Drain and then spread on a clean cloth and dry in the sun completely.
- Combine the mustard powder, salt and chilli powder in a large bowl and then rub onto the dried vegetables. Spoon into a large, clean glass jar.
- Heat the mustard oil till smoking point and then turn off the flame. Cool slightly and pour into the jar over the vegetables.
- Close the jar (or cover with muslin cloth) and keep in the sun for 2 days.Shake and mix well.
These are best eaten in a couple of months when the vegetables are still crunchy – serve with paranthas, khichdi, curd rice, dal chawal – actual anything!
- Capsicum – 3 (500 grams)
- Salt – 2 tsp
Spices for making pickle:
- Mustard oil – 1/2 cup
- Vinegar – 1/4 cup
- Mustard powder – 4 tsp
- Fennel powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 2-3 pinch
- Wash capsicum and allow it to dry completely. Divide in two equal halves and remove its seeds. Now cut into long thin slices and place in a bowl. Add salt, cover and keep it under sunlight for 5-6 hours.
- With this juice will come out from the capsicum. If there is no sunlight, cover and leave it overnight in a room. Till morning juice will come out from the pieces of capsicum.
- Strain the capsicum pieces.
- Preheat mustard oil in a pan until smoky. Turn off the flame once oil is sufficiently hot and allow it cool a bit.
- Now add asafoetida in oil and saute for while. Add capsicum chunks, turmeric, yellow mustard seeds, fennel powder, salt, red chilly powder and garam masala after sauteing asafoetida. Mix all ingredients really well. Also add vinegar into it. Stir and mix again.
- Pickle is ready, take it out in a bowl. Allow the pickle to cool and store it in any container. Relish eating whenever you feel like. You can eat this pickle even now but it will taste more delectable after three days, as capsicum turn soft and spices get absorbed in it.
- Container should be of plastic or glass. Thoroughly wash the containers with boiling water and dry under sunlight. Oven can also be used for drying containers.
- Store the pickle in container and stir regularly for three days atleast once or twice in a day. With this spices will mix well in the pickle.
- Use clean and dry spoon for taking out pickle from container. This increases the shelf life of pickle. Capsicum pickle can be consumed for up to 2-3 months.